Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Preparing For Thanksgiving, Planning Ahead, Being Thankful

Well, today was National Tie One On Day. That has nothing to do with alcohol. It means tie on your apron. So today I did. I am finding wearing an apron is a very handy thing to have on. I am always setting the kitchen towel down and forgetting where I put it. When I have on an apron I don't have that problem.  http://www.apronmemories.com/

I started preparing my Thanksgiving meal early this morning and started with one of my favorite foods for this time of year. The pumpkin pie. I try to get some of the cooking done the day before. Almost every year I have used the Libby's recipe for pumpkin pie. This year I thought I would look through some cookbooks and see if I found anything that looked better. Nope. Alot of other recipes included more sugar than I find healthy or other kinds of milk besides evaporated milk. Not that I don't like regular milk. Evaporated milk just doesn't have as much fat.

That  pie looks really  good. I can't wait to have some tomorrow.  But, first I must let it cook for a while.




Now, to start on the turkey. My mother showed me how she was taught to cook a turkey on the farm when she was growing up. So I only know one way to cook it. It comes out really juicey and good. It does include basting. There is one problem with basting, that is using the same utensil over and over. I don't.  After every time I baste I either throw the utensil in the dishwasher or hot sudsy water. I, also, cover the wing tips and leg with aluminum foil to keep them from burning.

After the turkey is cooked, I let it cool for 15 minutes and then my husband helps carve.

It is so nice and helpful to do some of Thanksgiving cooking the day before. Tomorrow I will get up and start on more cooking.

I have to add here, though, what Thanksgiving is about. Being thankful. It helps if there is someone you can thank. For me, I am thankful to God and all the love and blessings He has given me and my family. There are good times and hard times in life but knowing God is always there is the best thing to be thankful for.

Here is a link to a great Thanksgiving letter by Father Corapi:   http://www.fathercorapi.com/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=64&CategoryId=25


 Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Dear Lord help us to educate our family for your glory.

"Since parents have conferred life on their children, they have a most solemn obligation to educate their offspring. Hence, parents must be acknowledged as the first and foremost educators of their children. Their role as educators is so decisive that scarcely anything can compensate for their failure in it. For it devolves on parents to create a family atmosphere so animated with love and reverence for God and others that a well-rounded personal and social development will be fostered among children. Hence, the family is the first school of those social virtues which every society needs."--Gravissimum Educationis (one of the documents of the Second Vatican Council)

Helping and Loving Our Neighbor

Corporal works of Mercy
Feed the hungry

Give drink to the thirsty

Clothe the naked

Shelter the homeless

Visit the sick

Visit the imprisoned

Bury the dead



The Spiritual Works of Mercy
Admonish the sinner

Instruct the ignorant

Counsel the doubtful

Comfort the sorrowful
Bear wrongs patiently

Forgive all injuries

Pray for the living and the dead


Good Samaritain