Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Modesty in Words


Usually when one hears talk about modesty one thinks about what we wear. Of course, it is very important as Christians that we dress modestly. The culture we live in today certainly does not promote modesty in clothing, women and men alike. What is really sad is the message poor young girls are getting today.  I feel it is very important that we begin to give the message to the younger generation to care about how they look and dress and that they are worth something. They are so valuable that Jesus came to earth to show His love for them by dying on the cross. I miss a time I don't know, that my grandparents lived in, that wasn't perfect, but the clothing was different. It was of a more modest fashions. Yes, there have always been times when women would dress immodest but now it seems to be the rule and not the exception.
I believe that is very  important but what I want to focus on here is another type of modesty. A modesty of words.  I have worked in a small nursing home for quite a few years and have heard foul language used. It would bother me but it wasn't too horrible.  Well, recently I took a fill-in job at a large hospital. All I have to say is,
"wow." What talk that comes out of some of the lips of these women.  Professional women. At first it seemed to be just one person but little by little I began to hear things coming out of the mouths of other professional women that would make a sailor blush. Mind you this is not around patients. It is just casual conversation between  the women working together and if a man is in the room it is either the same or worse.
First of all these are women. Now there used to be a time when men would refrain from certain talk around a "lady", but apparently that time is gone. Not only do men not refrain themselves in the words they use anymore but women just join right in and talk and speak like they are just one of the guys. Just because I am a nurse and am speaking about what I hear on my occassional days of work doesn't mean it doesn't go on other places. This is a growing problem among women. Women have forgotten what is is to be lady like.

Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Col. 4:6

I know there are times I am guilting of speech without grace. My voice has gotten loud and the words I have said are not kind. I would like to hope that on my journey to become more like our Lord I will work on the way I speak. I hope to pass on to others coming behind me the importance of gracefilled speech. As we imitate our Lady may young girls and women of all ages learn how to speak modestly. Mary is the best example we have of being ladylike. True happiness is found in being the feminine, lady like person God created us to be. To be a true woman.

These are just a couple of things I thought of that might help just from what I have heard lately.

1. Women do not need to announce when they are going to the restroom in the presence of mixed company.
Just kindly excuse yourself.

2. A woman does not need to talk about her intimate affairs to those at work, even in a joking way. This is private between you and your husband and how would you like it if your husband was telling your private issues.

3. Speak softly. This one is hard for me, at times I get a little too loud. I hope to work on this one.
I remember an older woman told me that a long time ago when my son was little. She said if you speak soft people will listen closer.

4. Try to come up with other words than foul, curse words when angry. Before speaking count to ten, say a prayer or walk away.

5. Most importantly our Lord's name and anger and foul language do not go together and sound very horrible and are very offensive to the people around you.
"You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain." Exodus 20:7

It's time to take back the glory of our feminity, to be more ladylike.  True womanhood doesn't have to mean a woman can't speak out or doesn't have anything to say, or let the men do all the talking but true womanhood is speaking what I call modest speaking.  Speaking with charm.

1 comment:

Ebeth said...

Diane, it's nice to meet you! Thank you for following me, I'm now following your lovely blog as well!

Your message is very well put, especially your manners, #2 is a rant of mine for year, I simply let those wanting to spill the beans on this subject that I'd rather not know, thank you!

Blessings!

Dear Lord help us to educate our family for your glory.

"Since parents have conferred life on their children, they have a most solemn obligation to educate their offspring. Hence, parents must be acknowledged as the first and foremost educators of their children. Their role as educators is so decisive that scarcely anything can compensate for their failure in it. For it devolves on parents to create a family atmosphere so animated with love and reverence for God and others that a well-rounded personal and social development will be fostered among children. Hence, the family is the first school of those social virtues which every society needs."--Gravissimum Educationis (one of the documents of the Second Vatican Council)

Helping and Loving Our Neighbor

Corporal works of Mercy
Feed the hungry

Give drink to the thirsty

Clothe the naked

Shelter the homeless

Visit the sick

Visit the imprisoned

Bury the dead



The Spiritual Works of Mercy
Admonish the sinner

Instruct the ignorant

Counsel the doubtful

Comfort the sorrowful
Bear wrongs patiently

Forgive all injuries

Pray for the living and the dead


Good Samaritain